Apple Cider Vinegar, also known as ACV has varying uses for health, beauty and green living. Found in many kitchens, it is an ancient healing modality, dating back thousands of years. ACV is made from fermented apples which contain powerful acids that give it a pungent odor and sour taste. If you can get beyond the initial nose- scrunching feeling it gives, the benefits are extraordinary. When purchasing it’s important that it is organic which unpasteurized still has “The Mother” what looks like webs or gunk at the bottom.
Since I have a tendency to Bragg about all the uses, without detail, in past posts. Here are some detailed ways it can be used.
1. ANTIOXIDANT: After the sugars have fermented into vinegar, the antioxidant benefits are numerous. Some include catechin, gallic acid, caffeic and chlorogenic acids. Amongst many benefits, antioxidants assist the immune system and neutralize free radicals.
2. SINUSES: The vitamins, minerals and acids contained in ACV help balance the body’s PH level. The natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help the immune system fight off sinus infections and thin the mucus. Mixed with a dash of cayenne for more sinus support.
3. ENERGY: The minerals, enzymes, acids and amino acids in ACV can promote more balanced and higher levels of energy. ACV also helps to decrease fatigue and foggy-headedness.
4. SKIN: Using ACV on the skin as a facial toner or cleanser can balance the skin’s PH levels over time leaving skin glowing. It can also help fade bruises and ease burns.
5. DIABETES: ACV promotes healthy blood sugar levels and is anti-glycemic, which is beneficial for anyone with diabetes or blood sugar issues.
7. CLEANER: Mixed as a ratio with water 1:1, you can also add essential oils to this mixture. It has anti-microbial properties that kill pathogens and bacteria, studies have shown it to be as effective as bleach.
8. DIGESTION: Lack of digestive acids in the stomach leads to heartburn, taking a tablespoon of ACV in water improves the stomach acid, easing indigestion. It can also help the body break food down during the digestive process if taken before or after eating, due to the enzymes.
9. NATURAL ANTIBIOTIC: The acid, mineral and vitamin content of ACV make it a highly effective anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal when taken internally. It also has probiotics and magnesium to balance the system when combating an infection.
10. PETS: ACV helps to repel fleas from animals. You can mix a similar ratio of 1:1 as the cleaner, even adding in a few drops of oils like tea tree or clove and rub on your pet’s fur to get the little buggers off. 1x a day for a month. Diatomaceous earth, which I’ll address in another post is touted for pets too.
12. FOOD: ACV is super yummy in dressings, salads, sauces, soups, veggies, pastas and more. It can add the perfect touch to many dishes. It also improves the nutrient absorption of food, vitamins and minerals.
13: WEIGHT LOSS: Taking a tablespoon a day in water can help with weight management. “Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry journal published a study finding that drinking it for just three months caused significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference, and triglycerides.”
14. DETOXING: ACV assists not only the metabolic process but also the liver, lymphatic drainage and cardiovascular systems. It also naturally balances the PH and kills candida, the root to many health issues.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
These 14 that I’ve listed are of a hundred or so benefits of ACV. Which is why it is a staple in my life, for prevention and the all around amazing-ness it gives. Here are some ways to take it if you can’t stomach it alone.
2 TBLSPNS in 8 oz purified water with 1tspn blackstrap molasses or raw honey before a meal or anytime you need some energy. For more healing benefits adding cayenne is like super-charged ACV. For colds warm water, ACV and honey help immensely. If you’d like more advice, food and dressing recipes or ways to use it, please contact me directly.